Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Week 5 (Film 1: The Renaissance)

1. Who is Timothy Marlow? Why should we believe his story?
 -Timothy Marlow is a British narrator and historian. He studied Michelangelo and his works of art. We should believe his story because he has put years of research into who Michelangelo was and each of his works of art. 
2. Which painting do you like most by Michelangelo's why? How was it made? What do you see first, second, third? Why? What is this painting about?
- My favorite painting is of the Sistine Chapel. I am a sucker for churches because I love weddings, so I enjoy looking at their architecture and features.  The Sistine was my favorite painting because it shows the nine scenes in Genesis from chapter one. I originally thought it was Michelangelo alone who painted it on his back. After watching the video, I realized how unlikely this was. It took multiple people. This favorite part of this painting is its portrayal of God as a muscular Greek hero. It is a fresco painting. The first thing I notice is God and his portrayal as a Greek hero. I see this first because of his white cloak. The second thing I notice is the man he is reaching out to (Adam) because of his position in the painting. The final thing I notice is the finger of God almost touching Adam's finger. This is because it is small and you really need to focus to see it. 

A new question to ask would be what your favorite sculpture & why.




http://purpleopurple.com/biography/short-biography/Michelangelo.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment